I think that incorporating technology into the classroom at an early age is a good idea, it would help students become more familiar with computers and various technologies that they would need to use later on. Right now I plan on being an elementary school teacher, I am not sure what subject I would teach but no matter what subject I choose I will use technology in my classroom. If I teach elementary school Mathematics, I could use instructional software to help the students learn things such as their Times Tables more easily. I could also teach them to use a calculator so that they can save time when they're taking quizzes or tests.
While I think technology could be very useful in teaching students, I would worry about them using the internet. It is very easy to accidentally type in the wrong word and then get an inappropriate website pop up instead of the one you intended for. Because younger kids are very easily influenced I would worry about them finding one of these inappropriate websites and then instead of clicking out of it right away, showing everyone around them. To avoid this I would probably need a Teacher's Aid or Classroom Helper while instructing the children on how to use the internet in the classroom.
While searching the internet, I found an interesting website that allowed you to print worksheets based on the grade level, subject, and activity type desired. I would use this when I'm teaching because as a child in school I always loved worksheets, they were more fun and interesting to me than just sitting there while the teacher put examples on the board. One of the worksheets I looked at on this website was for First Grade Mathematics, it was for children learning to count backwards from 10 to 0 and had an animal theme. Others I saw had ocean, jungle, and seasons as themes. These themes could also make it more fun and appealing to children. The link for the website is given below.
http://www.kidzone.ws/
Blog Post #10
16 years ago
I also worry about students coming across or looking for inappropriate websites, I agree that having a teacher's aid or classroom helper would help a lot with this situation. Using instructional software to help students learn their times tables is also a great idea.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a cute website...definitely appealing to kids! I also would worry about kids using the internet while being taught computer-based things. My high school had a website blocker though which helped keep kids off of myspace, facebook, etc.
ReplyDeleteI like the website you chose. I think its great that there are websites out there that have printable worksheets for teachers. It makes life so much easier.
ReplyDelete